California Physical Fitness Test (PFT) Public Information Webpage
See the State Assessment Programs webpage for the administration schedule.
- Administered in the Spring of each school year to students in Grades 5, 7 and 9
- The Physical Fitness Test was suspended for the 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 school years and will resume Spring 2022 for the 2021-2022 school year.
- 2021-2022 Physical Fitness Test Parent Notification Letter English/Spanish
- Parent Guide to Understanding the PFT
- PFT Fact Sheet
Student Score Reports
Student Score Reports contain results from the Spring Physical Fitness Test and are sent home with students in May each school year after testing is completed. Contact your school's office for additional copies of the report.
The statewide physical fitness testing program was first authorized in 1976 and reestablished in 1995 as part of the California Assessment of Academic Achievement Act (Assembly Bill [AB] 265 which added EC Section 60800). In February 1996, the State Board of Education designated FITNESSGRAM® as the required physical fitness test that LEAs shall administer to California students in grades five, seven, and nine.
EC Section 60800 requires LEAs to administer the physical fitness test (i.e., FITNESSGRAM®):
- LEAs shall administer the PFT annually during the months of February through May to all students in grades five, seven, and nine.
- The California Department of Education (CDE) collects the physical fitness test results and provides aggregate results to LEAs and the public.
- The CDE reports the aggregate results to the Governor of California and the California Legislature.
- LEAs are to provide students with their individual results after completing the PFT either orally or in writing.
- LEAs report the summary results of the PFT in their annual School Accountability Report Card (SARC).
Updated February 7, 2022
Webpage maintained by Instructional Support Services